Western Bluebirds Love My Weeds!

It’s true! After spending an hour this afternoon whacking weeds with my newly repaired cordless string trimmer, I began raking the dead vegetation, creating a few piles of the stuff. Moments later, in the corner of my eye, I saw a bold streak of blue. I stopped and became so excited to see that it was a Western bluebird! Check out the chestnut-colored breast of this male. Wow!

This was the first time I’ve noticed this bird in my garden. Absolutely thrilling!

The difficulty for me was to slowly drop my rake and rush to get my camera. No easy feat since this bird did not love my camera, though the camera certainly loved it!

It brought a few Western bluebird friends along with it, perhaps to get nesting materials? One drawback of maintaining a totally pristine garden is that you could end up losing opportunities to attract birds who enjoy some of your garden’s untidy features, e.g., weeds.

I have removed 60% of the weeds so far in today’s session alone, but am likely, during my removal of the other 40%, leave at least a few weed piles behind for birds to use. I love gardening and I love birdwatching: win-win!

UPDATE: I’ve owned this string trimmer for less than three years and something in the wiring makes it short out and not work. This happened today, 3/15/2014, the second such incident. I only use it once a month, so I doubt it is from overuse. Sadly, I will hold off on bringing it back to the repair shop since I suspect the problem will return and I am not sure what causes it to short out. It is also a bit tiresome to have to the battery run out in under 30 minutes and then you have to wait to recharge it to continue on with your work. (Hands thrown up in the air). Disappointed with Ryobi. If manufacturers want more people to “go green,” they have to make the products last as long (if not longer) and perform as well as non-green products. I will be shopping for a gas-powered string trimmer soon.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Garden Fairy Farm

Organic gardening and the preservation of biodiversity

ICI & LA NATURE PICTURES

Walk and Bike in France. www.icietlanature.com

Garden of Eve

Growing my own, from garden to table.

Photo Nature Blog

Nature Photography by Jeffrey Foltice

moments clicked

Some of the best moments captured

villagegardener

Living and Gardening on Cape Cod

The Stay-at-home Scientist

Science, Gardening, Work-Life Balance

Sunny Sleevez

Sun Protection & Green Info

keri's orchids

blogging my orchid obsession

Earth Citizen

Spreading peace by dropping Truth bombs

Arthur in the Garden.

Gardening and Cooking inside the beltline in Raleigh, North Carolina.

jardinerialarcon

Jardinería en la costa del sol

WordPress.com

WordPress.com is the best place for your personal blog or business site.

%d bloggers like this: